88bozeman88

Best Wheel Question?

Got a new ES-600 on the way with Abec 11's. Has anyone tried the Goodyear rubber wheels that E-Glide promotes? Any thoughts as to which wheel would be best for paved road riding, or any other manufacture for wheels?

Thanks,

Brett

I have the E-glide Goodyears on my Exkate board. They are really soft and ride really smooth. I have the Abec wheels on my ES600. The Abec wheels are a lot faster. They are both good wheels.

Hey Brett,

Ya know, I'm not sure. I know when I ordered a set for my Exkate, I had to take my board to David (E-Glide). He had to modify the bearings to fit. the Exkate uses a smaller bearing. I know the drive belt is interchangeable. I assume the drive gear is the same as the belts are interchangeable. I would check with David to make sure they use the same axle bearing size. The ES600 uses a 10 X 26 X 8 mm bearing. Axle is 10mm. You might want to wait until you try the Abec wheels, I think they work great :thumbsup:

Agree, the Abec are fast ans work well. I ride on medium to rough concrete and need more vibration control. The Goodyear tires sounds like they are softer which would be perfect--if they fit? Thought all skateboard bearings were the same size? Any way you could take a Goodyear wheel off your Exkate and see if it fits on the ES-600?

Thanks,

Brett

brettbozeman@att.net

Brett,

You were asking which wheel works best for smooth concrete. And now you're saying that you ride medium to rough concrete. I don't think there is a wheel that works good for rough concrete (maybe an off road wheel). My Goodyears will not work on my ES600 due to the bearing size difference. The axle diameter is larger on the ES600 so I have no way of telling if the drive gear will line up properly. If you are dead set on a rubber wheel, you will either have to send your board to David (E-Glide), he can modify the wheel to fit or you can check out the slick wheels that Rokit Science has to offer. I know that they will work on the ES600.

Thank you for your help. My riding surface here is not rough--I exaggerate. The concrete has a pattern to it making vibrations that a solid rubber wheel would improve. You correctly identifed the both problems in using another wheel for this board. The ES-600 has a 26mm O.D. bearing and the Goodyears use a 24mm O.D. bearing. David at E-Glide would machine the Goodyear wheels to fit the larger bearing which has th needed 10mm inner race for the larger 10mm truck axle. Problem #1 solved. However, the gear drives do not match and there really is no way around this problem. So its time to shut my mouth and ride! The Abec's work just fine.

Brett

It's amazing how much you learn about electric skateboards when you really get into them. David could make his wheels work with your board if you are willing to send him your board. He is a really smart guy. Andrew is always upgrading his boards, that's why I like working with him also. All that you need to do with the Abec's is un-weight when you go over a larger crack and you really don't feel it. You do need to watch out for larger obstacles though, but then, you have to do that with any wheel.

or you can check out the slick wheels that Rokit Science has to offer. I know that they will work on the ES600.

Has this been confirmed? Same Belt used and wheel diameter matches as well? And the bearing is same, too?

That would be cool, just to have another wheel replacement option. If someone tried it, or has both boards and can check, please drop a no or go.

Greets,

Beetle

New wheels from Andrew? Ive got the green 107mm Abec copies. Thought they were genuine Abec but after reading this board know now they are copies. Probably not much but difference? Please tell me about new wheels from ES? Or is all of my questions usless because the the green Abec or the copies the best choice. Already tried with E-glide to make Goodyear wheels work--not possible, several problems that not even they could solve.

Thanks

Hello 88bozeman88,

that is a good question - I've ridden the "copy" ABEC11, which don't have anything in common with "real" ABEC11, still were not that bad (one of the few things positive I have to say about ES).

They seem to age very quick, resulting in breaking wheel parts, means they crumble after a while probably on the edges and so on. But as long as they are round and smooth, driving them didn't feel that bad on a electric board, still I think the "real ones" offer a wider selectability of hardness/stiffness/sizes and so on (but not necessarily an drive belt wheel, so you might have to modify/do-it-yourself this part if you choose longboard wheels as replacement, same with bearings.

Best regards,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf. Guess your not a fan of Elektro-Skateboards? Question: Im trying to find wheels that dampen vibration like rubber. Goodyear has solid rubber wheels being used by E-glide--these will not work on the ES boards. I worked with E-glide last year trying to get the drive-hub assebly to work with the ES drive system--will not work. RokitScience has smooth rubber-looking wheels that might work? Have seen a few others. Maybe none of these will work and I should just use the ABEC copies? I dont see on the ES website any ABEC wheels? Can I order the electric flywheels from ABEC--and if so how do you get the hubs off the old wheels and back on the new ones? Has anyone tried the Gum PU or Gumball wheels from ES, and are they any softer than the ABEC?

Thanks,

Brett

Hello Brett,

lets just say: I've seen too many disappointed customers with broken battery packs from ES in a short time (mostly under one year of usage), even after perfect care of the packs..

I've also seen alot of different problems and "worse development steps" in the hardware.

I, for one, would not buy one again from them, ever.. but ok, I will also not buy lead acid boards from other sellers, so I build my boards myself, no problems this way and no disappointment. :)

I am not sure which type of wheels you mean, "solid rubber wheels"? Like longboard wheels?

Do you have a link to them?

Pretty sure, one can adapt every available wheel on the market to fit the boards - it is just severe work! Not as easy as "plug & play", that's true.

Alot of people worldwide have used a variety of wheels on all types of modified/homebuild boards and such.. probably some ways are more complicated than others.

I have no idea if you can order the electric flywheels from ABEC11, depends where you are at and if some store delivers to you or you have a seller store in the area. It is at least not impossible to order "true" ABEC11 wheels, as they are used worldwide.

About the drive belt cog on the ES roll: Those are made from plastic and are one part with the wheel itself. But we had modifications with cogs for machines, means the belt standard is a industry standard, you can use aluminum/steel cogs in the fitting size, drill some holes around the center and mount them on different wheels.

Look here, as example:

http://www.elektro-skateboard.de/forum/elektroskate-7/reibung-des-riemes-rades-1019-2.php#post8223

Best regards,

Wolf

http://www.e-glide.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=44&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Link to the Goodyear wheels above. They seem like they would give the best ride on smoother surfaces. You got any pics of your boards? Seems like no company is the best. Good wheels from one, good batteries from another, etc. What wheel choice to you believe is the best for concrete riding?

Thanks for the input!!

Brett

Hello Brett,

ah - I have not seen those goodyear wheels in reality yet. I am not sure if those are "genuine" products, or if the principe behind them is the same as with ES and ABEC11 wheels.. :D :skep:

But nonetheless, they look like good asphalt tires for dry, relatively clean surfaces and curvy driving. Just that the description/images don't show, how hard they are and how well/good they roll, unfortunately.

Yes, that is exaktly the problem: Wheels from one, motor from another, electronic from the third and .... - to find ONE producer which creates very good parts in ALL categorys seems very hard.

Some of the recent kickstarter/streetboard projects which raised from "private hobby" to commercial production use at least reliable longboard/skate parts from authentic manufacturers and so offer a overall high quality which is a good thing - but quality comes always with (pretty) high price..

The problem with those goodyear wheels is the same as with the ES wheels: the drive belt cog is hard-mounted it seems, so you have to replace the whole drive wheel if something breaks and the plastic is not as precise and round-running as well as durable as aluminum/steel cog wheels.

Another positive about a selfmade/modified industry drive belt cog wheel is the interchangeability - as long as you find any longboard/streetboard wheel which is larger in diameter and where are bearings on the market fitting the combination of axle diameter and wheel bearing place diameter, you can screw it on every wheel out there which offers a reliable mounting surface for the cog wheel (with some modification probably).

But they are not cheap, nor plug&play, one has to do something to make them fit unfortunately.

The problem with the "plug&play complete wheels" like the goodyear ones is, that the belt cog wheel probably does not fit the belt type or gives too much slop and you need to modify the motors/axles position and/or buy ahother belt.. that seems to be the problem e-glide was talking about: If they are not the same standard, you will have to make them the same and get a gear belt in the right length. As well as fitting bearings..

About wheels: I am more for offroad boards, means high quality kart wheels/tires are a good thing. They offer a wide variety for every weather, surface and so on.

But it seems like you prefer street boards, in this category the best wheels (with a "longboardlike feeling") you could get are.. indeed longboard wheels. Unfortunately in the most cases without drive cog wheel. :(

So we are back to the "chicken - egg - problem"..

ABEC11 -should- make some drive wheels based on their longboard wheels for Evolve Boards as example, as far as I read it. This means they could have wheels with interchangeable (plastic but wuality) insert with the cog wheel. Probably. But where? And how to buy? And can you buy it without possessing one of the partner boards? :D No idea.. best bet would be to ask Evolve/ABEC11 directly and hope, they can offer you a solution (IF they are already available, thats it..).

About images about "my boards": Yes, basically I have them, but the first two boards build/modified were for friends, so I don't possess much images aside from those which were posted already and the third, fourth and fifth as well as upcoming boards are for me and in process. Ans as I build them with military like detail secretion, I cannot give more images than those posted there:

http://www.elektro-skateboard.de/forum/elektro-skateboard-werkstatt-48/projekt-b-h-moth-fenrisulfr-1833.php

But like you see: if you ask specify questions about "usual stuff", I am willing to help out as good as possible, for sure.

Best regards,

Wolf

Hello Brett,

just post the item auction number like you did on the final post - e-Bay links and the name are censored due to disagreements between them and Kai. :thumbsup:

They look funny, I wonder how they feel on uneven surfaces like streets with holes/cracks.

might have better grip (thanks to the rubber mix instead of polyurethane) and probably damp better, but I wonder if roll resistance raises with them due to more walk loss of the tire itself.

If you want to use those and the belt type / axle diameter are different, you might need a lathe (or someone with one), some adapters, new bearings, 4 of those wheels without the plastic drive cog wheel and a new cog wheel fitting your old tire-mounted one.

Alot of work, even more, if the tools/machines are not available.

But that's just assumption, I donÄt know the axle build up of your board and the tires physical fitment/belt differences without having them there, so if you want to use those wheels, give it a try, but expect some severe works. :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Wolf